Various business units within the Group offer intermodal services, including, Grindrod Logistics, a joint venture with Maersk; Grindrod’s operations in Mozambique and United Container Depots. The end-to-end service is reliable, flexible, innovative and structured around customers’ needs. Solutions include comprehensive full and empty container depot operations, warehousing of general cargo and mining minerals, road and rail transport – connecting the inland facilities to the coastal facilities – as well as container and genset sales.
Our warehousing and distribution solutions include cross dock and bonded warehousing
- Containerisation of bulk commodities (minerals)
- Empty and full container depots
- Sales of gensets to the reefer market
- Container packing and unpacking
- Cargo handling
- Storage and distribution
- Customs services
Container depot services include
- Storage and handling of empty marine containers
- Mechanical and structural container repairs done to industry standards
- Cold treatment preparation for reefer containers
- Warranty repairs on reefer equipment
- Washing and cleaning of containers
- Empty container transport
- Gassing of containers
- CA preparations - STERI preparations
- Port monitoring / on-board monitoring
- Reefer services
- Parts sales
- Bonded and duty paid warehousing
Facilities and services
SHIPS AGENCY AND
MARINE TECHNICAL SERVICES
With a steadily expanding footprint of strategically located offices, currently in 13 countries, Sturrock Grindrod Maritime (SGM) provides a ships agency service in the Indian Ocean region. Adept in the local languages, our staff provide local knowledge aimed at providing a multifaceted service offering that meets global industry standards. As a leading ships agency as well as provider of logistics and maritime technical and engineering services, we offer a diverse range of solutions to the maritime, offshore and oil and gas sectors.
Our diverse service offering provides expertise, insight and knowledge of local authorities and suppliers in the ports in which we operate. Representing ship owners, managers, operators and charterers from around the globe, SGM provides services along all trade routes in the Indian Ocean region covering Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the Australian coastline.
We cover our customers’ needs across the logistics chain from accounts and documentation to loading and discharge; from marketing to IT support and from brokering to container tracking and logistics co-ordination. We offer numerous vessel operations services including super cargo and surveys. Our full ships agency service is offered to both liner and non-liner vessels.
- Cargo loading / discharge
- Charterers, shippers, receivers agency
- Crew assistance
- Full agency
- OPL – naval and passenger vessels
- Owners agency
- Protective agency
- Ship repair co-ordination
Liner services include
- Cargo surveys
- Container track and logistics
- Freight / logistics coordination
- IT support
- Sales / brokering
- Super cargo / vessel operations
As part of expanding the service provided to vessels in port, Grindrod, through its ships agency division invested in marine technology and servicing, and marine engineering.Contact us to find out more
Our team at NovaMarine plays a vital role in providing product support, service and repairs, rescue and survival equipment to the marine market. Our dedicated team is on hand to take care of the mandatory checks and surveys required for your safety and firefighting equipment. Our offshore team strives to provide the best solutions whilst onboard vessels or rigs and adheres to the latest regulations and standards, keeping compliant with the Flag State of the vessel and the Port State of the country.
- Providing calibration, servicing and repairs in accordance with ISO 9001:2015 standards and OEM specifications
- Supplying provisions and related supplies to the shipping industry
- Sales and servicing of firefighting equipment. SANAS certification for the inspection of transportable refillable gas containers including approval as a high-pressure test station
- Servicing of lifeboats, rescue boats, Fast Rescue Craft (FRC) and davits for lifeboats, rescue boats and FRCs
- Servicing and supplying of life rafts
- Sales and servicing of marine safety equipment, immersion suits, lifejackets and electronic equipment
- A specialised technical service and procurement division for auxiliary marine systems
MARINE AND INDUSTRIAL
We offer fully integrated turnkey solutions to the manufacturing, heavy engineering, mining and FMCG, oil and gas sectors. Located in Cape Town, our team of service engineers at Hesper Engineering are on hand to provide around the clock support and tailor-made solutions to our clients.
- Turnkey project management
- Steel fabrication and supply
- Specialised rigging services
- Specialised inspection services
- Ship Repair
- Propulsion systems specialists
- Blasting, coating, painting, and tank cleaning.
Clearing and forwarding
Customers are provided with total operational and management control over their shipments through worldwide clearing and forwarding, import, export and project cargo services, by sea, air or land.
An integrated information system ensures complete shipment visibility from order placement to ﬁnal point of delivery.
The system also provides management information enabling customers to optimise planning and review their overall supply chain performance.Contact us to find out more
CROSS BORDER AND
Harnessing the capabilities of the group, Grindrod Logistics Africa (GLA) manages projects from start to finish, providing transportation and logistics solutions – from a single shipment to a fully integrated service. We have offices on all major transit corridors in southern Africa.
Our capabilities include
- A single point of contact and centralised invoicing
- An expansive network
- Reliable, tailor-made solutions with solution-based delivery
- A full service offering
- Quick adaptability to market demands and changes in the local and legal framework
- Specialist knowledge on all project cargo shipments
- Qualified and professional staff
- An independent cargo broker
- Petroleum import clearances
- Inter Africa customs clearances and customs compliance
Our customers range from major retailers such as Woolworths and Shoprite, manufacturers, project companies, freight forwarders, shipping lines, commodity traders, petroleum, chemical and mining majors, agricultural and automotive customers - 160 selected customers from all industries.
We handle a range of items from petroleum, chocolate, chrome, coal, tyres, building materials, construction equipment, vehicles, fresh produce, food, clothing, relocation of endangered animals, day-old chicks, agricultural products, chemicals, automotive parts, steel and project cargo such as earthmoving equipment and massive steel structures.
As an independent agent we work with a range of stakeholders to deliver the best solution.
Travel agency services
Grindrod Travel, one of South Africa’s oldest travel management companies, with branches in Durban, and Cape Town.
Being predominantly a corporate travel management company, we specialise in providing services for business travellers.
We also offer exciting packages for international inbound and domestic leisure tourism.
Domestic and international services include
- Air reservations; hotel bookings; car hire reservations; bus, coach and rail bookings; tours; visa administration; insurance applications and foreign exchange. Grindrod Travel has a dedicated department for the handling of ships crew reservations
- We provide a conferencing and events management service, looking after all logistical requirements for the event however big or small
- The company is a member of IATA* and ASATA** ensuring the best possible customer protection at all times
* International Air Transport Association
** Association of South African Travel Agents