IN TERMS OF SECTION 11 OF THE ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS AND TRANSACTIONS (ECT) ACT 25 OF 2002 AND THE COMMON LAW OF CONTRACT, THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS ARE VALID, BINDING AND ENFORCEABLE AGAINST ALL PERSONS THAT ACCESS THE GRINDROD WEBSITE OR USE THE SERVICE THROUGH THE Grindrod WEBSITE OR ANY PART THEREOF.
IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, YOU MUST LEAVE THE GRINDROD WEBSITE(S) IMMEDIATELY AS FURTHER USE WILL AUTOMATICALLY BIND YOU TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
Definitions and interpretation
- “Grindrod” means Grindrod Limited, registration number 1966/009846/06 of Grindrod House, 108 Margaret Mncadi Avenue (Victoria Embankment), Durban, 4001;
- “Website” means the Grindrod website available at www.grindrod.com, www.grindrod.co.za, www.grincor.com and www.grincor.co.za, including the content and service(s) available on and through the website and any page, part or element thereof;
- “User” means any person who enters or uses the Website;
- References herein to the singular includes the plural and vice versa; and
- Hyperlinks herein to legal documents should be deemed part of these terms and conditions in terms of section 11(3) of the ECT Act. The fact that some or all of the hyperlinks may, from time to time, be non-operational, shall not affect the validity and interpretation of these terms and conditions.
Grindrod Limited is the holding company of a dynamic organisation with more than 100 years experience in South Africa’s freight movement and related industries, providing total logistic solutions for clients. The group’s portfolio embraces Ship owning and Operating, Ships Agencies, Logistics Management, International Forwarding and Customs Clearing, Warehousing and Distribution, Insurance and Financial Services.
- Grindrod licenses the User to view, download, and print the content of the Website provided that such use is for private, personal, educational, and/or non-commercial purposes only.
- Content from the Website may not be used or exploited by Users for any commercial and non-private purposes without the prior written consent of Grindrod.
Users may only access, browse and use the Website for legitimate personal or commercial purposes and may not use the Website for:
- Harmful purposes;
- Illegal purposes;
- Disclosing, sharing or publishing material that may be offensive, defamatory, regulated, copyrighted, incorrect, untrue, prohibited, infringing or damaging to any person; and/or
The creation, storage and sending of unsolicited commercial
The caching of the Grindrod website shall only be allowed if:
- The purpose of the caching is to make the onward transmission of the content from the Website more efficient;
- The cached content is not modified in any manner whatsoever;
- The cached content is updated at least every 12 (twelve) hours; and
The cached content is removed or updated when so required by
If any User uses content from the Grindrod website in breach of the provisions detailed herein:
- Grindrod reserves the right to claim damages from the User;
- Grindrod reserves the right to institute criminal proceedings against the User; and
- Grindrod shall not be liable, in any manner whatsoever, for any damage, loss or liability that resulted from the use of such content by the User or any third party who obtained any content from the User.
- Hyperlinks to the Website from any other source shall be directed at the home page of the Website. Links beyond the Grindrod home page may only be used with Grindrod’s prior written consent.
- Grindrod shall not be liable, in any manner whatsoever, for any damage, loss or liability that resulted from the use of content, products or services available from the Website, if such content, products or services was accessed through a hyperlink not directed at the home page of the Website. Persons that wish to link to pages beyond the home page of the Website without Grindrod’s prior written consent shall do so at their own risk and indemnify Grindrod against any loss, liability, or damage that may result from the use of such hyperlinks. Grindrod’s non-liability for deep linking is because deep links bypass these terms and conditions.
- Users may quote small and reasonable amounts of content available from the Grindrod website, subject to such a quote being placed in inverted commas and acknowledged.
- No person may, without the prior written consent of Grindrod, frame the Website in any manner whatsoever.
- Apart from bona-fide search engine operators and use of the search facility provided on the Website by Users, no person may use or attempt to use any technology or applications (including web crawlers, robots or web spiders) to search, collect or copy content from the Website for any purpose whatsoever, without the prior written consent of Grindrod.
- Email addresses, names, telephone numbers, and fax numbers published on the Website may not be incorporated into any database used for electronic marketing or similar purposes. No permission is given or should be implied that information on the Website may be used to communicate unsolicited communications to Grindrod and all rights detailed in section 45 of the ECT Act are reserved.
All licenses and/or permissions granted in terms of this clause 2 are provided on a non-exclusive and non-transferable basis and may be terminated or cancelled by Grindrod at any time without prior notice or reasons.
Intellectual Property Rights
- All intellectual property on the Website, including but not limited to content, trademarks (or any confusingly similar trademarks), trade names, logos, pictures, video, downloads, domain names, patents, design elements, software, source code, meta tags, databases, text, graphics, icons and hyperlinks are the property of or licensed to Grindrod and as such, are protected from infringement by domestic and international legislation and treaties. Subject to the rights licensed to the User in section 2, all other rights to intellectual property on the Website are expressly reserved.
- No person shall amend, copy, use, decompile and/or reverse engineer the source code of the Website.
No person may use logos, icons, or trademarks from the Website as hyperlinks or other purposes without Grindrod’s prior written consent.
Software and Equipment
It is the responsibility of the User to acquire and maintain, at his/her own expense, the necessary computer hardware, software, communication lines and Internet access accounts required to access the Internet and
the Website and/or download content from the Website.
- It is the responsibility of the User to acquire and maintain, at his/her own expense, the necessary computer hardware, software, communication lines and Internet access accounts required to access the Internet and the Website and/or download content from the Website.
- Access to and use of the Website may be classified as “electronic transactions” as defined in terms of the ECT Act and therefore Users have the rights detailed in Chapter 7 of the ECT Act and Grindrod has, amongst others, the duty to disclose the following information:
- The full name and legal status: Grindrod Limited;
- Registration number: 1996/009846/06
- Physical address: Grindrod House, 108 Margaret Mncadi Avenue (Victoria Embankment), Durban, 4001.
- Postal address: PO Box 1, Durban, 4000.
- Telephone number: +27 (0) 31 304 1451
- Fax number: +27 (0) 31 305 2848
- Website address: http://www.grindrod.com
- Email address: [email protected]
- Membership of self-regulatory bodies: NA
- Code of conduct: Available upon request from the Grindrod Company Secretary by phoning +27 (0) 31 304 1451, or by emailing [email protected].
- Physical address for receipt of legal service:Grindrod House, 108 Margaret Mncadi Avenue (Victoria Embankment), Durban, 4001.
- Management: Click here to view the Grindrod Directorate.
- Access to information:Click here to view the Grindrod information manual.
Alternative dispute resolution: Subject to urgent and/or interim relief, all disputes regarding:
- access and use of the Website;
- the inability to access the Website;
- the services and content available from the Website; or
- these terms and conditions, shall be referred to arbitration in terms of the expedited rules of the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa and such arbitration proceedings shall be conducted in Durban in English. The arbitration ruling shall be final and the unsuccessful party shall pay the costs of the successful party on a scale as between attorney and own client.
- Complaints: [email protected]
Cooling off rights: The cooling-off provisions detailed in section 44 of the ECT Act may apply to the services available on the Website.
Changes and AmendmentsGrindrod reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to do any of the following, at any time without prior notice or justification:
- change these terms and conditions;
- change the content and/or service available from the Website;
- discontinue any aspect of the Website or service(s) available from the Website; and/or
change the software and hardware required to access and use the Website.
Hyperlinks to third party pages
- Grindrod may provide hyperlinks to websites not controlled by Grindrod (“target sites”) and such hyperlinks do not imply any endorsement, agreement on or support of the content, products, and/or services of such target sites.
Grindrod does not editorially control the content, products and/or services on target sites and shall not be liable, in any manner whatsoever, for the access to, inability to access, use, and inability to use or content
available on or through target sites.
- Grindrod shall take all reasonable steps to secure the content of the Website and the information provided by and collected from Users from unauthorised access and/or disclosure. However, Grindrod does not make any warranties or representations that content shall be 100% safe or secure.
- Subject to the provisions of sections 43(5) and 43(6) of the ECT Act, if applicable, Grindrod is under no legal duty to encrypt any content or communications from and to Users and is also under no legal duty to provide digital authentication of any pages on the Website.
- Users may not deliver or attempt to deliver, whether on purpose or negligently, any damaging code, such as computer viruses, robots or spy ware, to the Website or the server and computer network that support the Website.
- Notwithstanding criminal prosecution, any person who delivers or attempts to deliver any damaging code to the Website, whether on purpose or negligently, shall, without any limitation, indemnify and hold Grindrod harmless against any and all liabilities, damages, risks and losses that Grindrod and its partners / affiliates may suffer as a result of such delivery, attempt or damaging code.
- Users may not develop, distribute, or use any device or programme designed to breach or overcome the security measures of the restricted pages, products and services on the Website and Grindrod reserves the right to claim damages from any and all persons involved, directly and indirectly, in the development, use and distribution of such devices or programmes.
Users who commit any of the offences detailed in sections 85 to 88 of the ECT Act shall, notwithstanding criminal prosecution, be liable for all resulting liabilities, losses,
destruction or damages suffered and/or incurred by Grindrod and its partners / affiliates due to or related to these illegal actions.
Disclaimer and limitation of liability
Subject to the provisions of sections 43(5) and 43(6) of the ECT Act, if applicable, and as far as allowed by law, Grindrod (including its owners, employees, suppliers,
Internet service providers, partners, affiliates and agents) shall not be liable for any damage, loss or liability of any nature incurred by whomever and resulting from:
- access to the Website; access to and use of the service;
- access to websites linked to the Website;
- inability to access the Website or use the service;
- inability to access websites linked to the Website;
- content available on the Website;
- services available from the Website; or
any other reason not directly related to Grindrod’s gross negligence.
- The Grindrod website is supplied on an "as is" basis and has not been compiled to meet the User's individual requirements. It is the responsibility of the User to satisfy himself or herself, prior to entering into this agreement with Grindrod, that the content available from and through the Website meet the User's individual requirements and is compatible with the User's computer hardware and/or software.
- Information, ideas and opinions expressed on the Website should not be regarded as professional advice or the official opinion of Grindrod and Users are encouraged to consult professional advice before taking any course of action related to the information, ideas or opinions expressed on the Website.
- Grindrod does not make any warranties or representation that content and services available from the Website shall in all cases be true, correct or free from any errors. Grindrod shall take all reasonable steps to ensure the quality and accuracy of content available from the Website.
- Grindrod does not make any warranties or representations that the Website shall be available at all times. Users acknowledge that the Website may be unavailable due to updates or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Grindrod, including, but not limited to virus infection, unauthorised access (hacking), power failure or other “acts of God.”
The Website and the service are provided “as is” and no warranties, implied or express, are given or implied.
- Subject to the provisions of sections 43(5) and 43(6) of the ECT Act, if applicable, and as far as allowed by law, Grindrod (including its owners, employees, suppliers, Internet service providers, partners, affiliates and agents) shall not be liable for any damage, loss or liability of any nature incurred by whomever and resulting from:
Removal and correction of content
Users are encouraged to report untrue, inaccurate, defamatory, illegal, infringing, and/or harmful content available from the Website to Grindrod and Grindrod undertakes to correct and/or remove such content or any part
thereof if the person reporting such content provided reasonable grounds to prove the alleged nature of the content.
- Users are encouraged to report untrue, inaccurate, defamatory, illegal, infringing, and/or harmful content available from the Website to Grindrod and Grindrod undertakes to correct and/or remove such content or any part thereof if the person reporting such content provided reasonable grounds to prove the alleged nature of the content.
Interception of communication
- Subject to the provisions of the Regulation of Interception of Communications (RIC) Act 70 of 2002, the User agrees to Grindrod’s right to intercept, block, filter, read, delete, disclose and use all communications (including all “data messages” as defined in the ECT Act) send or posted by the User to the Website, its staff and employees.
The User agrees and acknowledges that the consent provided by the User in clause 12.1 satisfies the “writing” requirement as detailed in the ECT Act and the RIC Act.
Entire agreement and severability
- These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between Grindrod and the User and shall take precedent over any disclaimers and/or legal notices attached to any communications and/or postings received by Grindrod from the User.
- Any failure by Grindrod to exercise or enforce any right or provision shall in no way constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
In the event that any term or condition detailed herein is found unenforceable or invalid for any reason, such term(s) or condition(s) shall be severable from the remaining terms and conditions. The remaining terms and
conditions shall remain enforceable and applicable.
Agreement in terms of section 21 of the Ect ActThe User and Grindrod agree that:
- the User shall be bound to these term and conditions and such agreement is concluded in Durban (South Africa) at the time the User enters the Website for the first time;
- data messages (as defined in the ECT Act) addressed by the User to Grindrod shall only be deemed to have been received if and when responded to;
- data messages (as defined in the ECT Act) addressed to the User by Grindrod shall be deemed to be received by the User as detailed in section 23(b) of the ECT Act;
- data messages (as defined in the ECT Act) addressed by the User to Grindrod shall be deemed to have been created and sent by the User from within the geographical boundaries of South Africa;
- electronic signatures, encryption and/or authentication is not required for valid electronic communications between the User and Grindrod; and
the User agrees and warrants that data messages that are sent to Grindrod from a computer, IP address or mobile device normally used by or owned by the User, was sent and/or authorised by the User personally.
Application and governing law
The Grindrod Website is hosted, controlled and operated from the Republic of South Africa and therefore, subject to clause 5 the South African law enforced by the South African courts governs the use or
inability to use the Website, its content, services, products and these terms and conditions.
- The Grindrod Website is hosted, controlled and operated from the Republic of South Africa and therefore, subject to clause 5 the South African law enforced by the South African courts governs the use or inability to use the Website, its content, services, products and these terms and conditions.
- Grindrod shall not be liable for costs incurred by Users to obtain professional advice relating to these terms and conditions.