We are delighted to welcome ten SHERQ and Sustainability interns to the Grindrod family.
The interns will be working in various business divisions and regions, and- have each been assigned a mentor who will support them as they navigate the working world.
All the interns have bachelor’s degrees majoring in subjects related to the environment. They are passionate about sustainability, minimising the adverse impact of industrial activities on the environment and conserving our planet’s finite resources.
The twelve-month internship will provide a combination of formal and informal training, an opportunity to be integrated into the business, project participation and on-the-job training.
Their key performance areas are:
- Drive the health and safety culture through awareness training, induction, re-training, etc.
- Review and rewrite risk assessments.
- Drive the investigation on injuries using robust root-cause analysis with teams and identifying preventive measures to eliminate recurrence.
- Draw ISO gap analysis for certification implementation.
- Driving and populating sustainability initiative matrix and conducting feasibility studies by writing business cases on cost vs. benefits and pay-back periods. For instance, regarding conserving water, the study will include the number of JoJo tanks and capacity, rainwater harvesting, civil requirements of plumbing JoJo-tanks to ablution facilities and dust suppression tankers. Water reduction initiatives such as the use of water-saving taps. Conserving electricity will include a study on motion-detector lights, etc.
- Assist the division with specific projects relevant to the facility.
Grindrod is proud to empower and upskill these talented youth in line with our employment equity plans, selecting individuals from the communities in which we operate - supporting our strategy of community inclusiveness - and promoting safety, health and sustainability in the workplace. Our new interns have displayed characteristic traits embedded in the Grindrod culture. Our people are tenacious and passionate. We keep our promises and go above and beyond to deliver the best solutions for our customers, never compromising on safety or ethics. We encourage innovative thinking and insist on operational excellence.